Archive for December, 2010

Happy migration :) Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010 SP1

Wednesday, December 22nd, 2010

We have setup a completely new environment with Exchange 2010 SP1… Old Exchange 2003 had around 100 mailboxes with quota from 300 MB - 1GB. I used Exmerge to export all mailboxes from Exchange 2003 (using ExMerge to extract PSTs from Exchange 2003 database) and sucessfuly used new Powershell cmdlets to import them to users in Exchange 2010…

You first need to add permissions to a group in which you put administrator to be able to use import / export features. You can read about that in this article.

Useful comdlets are:

Importing pst to existing mailbox:

New-MailboxImportRequest -FilePath \\oldserver\share\user1.pst -Mailbox user1

To check status of your import type:

Get-MailboxImportRequest | Get-MailboxImportRequestStatistics

If import fails you can try with option:

New-MailboxImportRequest -FilePath \\oldserver\share\user1.pst -Mailbox user1 -BadItemLimit 10

What it does? Saso (tnx man!) explained to me, that it might happen when you have used some antivirus solution that has “corrupted” some e-mails… So try with BadItemLimit 10 probably we are talking about one or two e-mails with problems.

If you want to remove old importrequest you can use:

Remove-MailboxImportRequest -Identity username\MailboxImport or MailboxImport1 or 2…If you want to look at just a signle mailbox import progress you can use modified cmdlet:

Get-MailboxImportRequest -Identity username\mailboximport | Get-MailboxImportRequestStatistics

At the end you will have alot of Completed malilboximport’s… If you want to cleane up your exchange you can run:

Get-MailboxImportRequest -Status Completed | Remove-MailboxImportRequest

Happy importing! :)